View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Default c1862 Baseball Team Photo with a Young Admiral Dewey

Posted By: 1880nonsports

are shaped differently in the comparison..... Think it is a fantasic image bolstered by those unreal uniforms. Never seen anything like them. Terry's prices might be considered "stiff" but he does pay high and gets the most exotic material that NO-ONE else has in their inventory. Just a thought - although it can not be seen in a scan - perhaps there is a "blind stamp" somewhere on the print as this was a common practice. Also, the tonal quality and depth of this assumed albumen print can't be seen in a scan. Knowing the toning method used as well as the type of stock paper (was it cut from a roll by the photographer therefore exhibiting a sometimes uneven "cut" or already cut into usable sheets by the supplier) might further help to narrow down the time frame. The mount and image DO suggest to me an 1860's OR EARLIER date - the process having been developed 10+ years earlier. The mount appears to be of the simplest style and is a typical period color for the mount. Perhaps David or others more in the photo related know can add to this - not my area of expertise but I do know a little. Barry and Mark R. among others (maybe lurkers?) have a lot of experience with old baseball related images and there's nothing like hands on experience.....

I think if it is in fact Dewey it's a 2500. - 4000. image because of the historical additive and it's cross collectibility as well as the strength of the image itself. As a "generic" pic. it's interesting but without some sort of player/school/important event tie-in to elevate it to the rarified air of such a lofty price. Generic photos can be quite pleasing but as there aren't really many collectors seeking out and COMPETING for simply unusual baseball photographs - that something below the low guesstimate is all that could be anticipated in a sale or auction. I am a simple collector (or I collect simply) and so don't trade in these expensive images.

(edited to add the preceeding paragraph and "or earlier" clarifier)