View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default First December Pickups

Posted By: Joann

Hey Dan,

Check this out. Not a recent pickup but might be from the same series as yours. I got if from the BST awhile ago.

A few things of interest:

At National this year Terry Knouse had a few of these - don't remember exactly but one was a basketball player, plus a few others. There is actually another piece to the ones he had. It was like a two-sided skirt or petticoat and top - something like that - and was a separate piece that slipped over the head. You could pull a tab and "lift" the skirt to see what was underneath.

So mine is definitely missing the top piece. The girl is clearly in underwear, while yours looks more like a full outfit itself. Somehow the top piece left the arms/hands, etc in the "right" position - didn't cover them up or whatever - so yours could maybe have had a top piece even though she is holding the mask. Mine is MacLaughlin and has an 1894 date on it.

Second thing that I just couldn't help but notice on mine - just a wierd little oddity. I was struck by how exacting my front and rear views were in terms of matching up the picture. Every flower, leaf, bat position, etc, is exactly correct from the front to the back - meaning consistent as to the front of a person and the same picture from the back.

Except her feet! Check it out: In the back view, the girl's right foot (and foot to the right in our view) is clearly forward. But in the front view, the forward foot is the girl's left foot (to the right in our view). So they went to really painstaking care to get each flower and leaf right, and then got the feet backwards! That means ... nothing, really. I just couldn't help but notice it.

Cool pieces, that's for sure.

Joann