View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default A Few Questions For Dr. Muchinsky

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Dan,

I feel like a celebrity, a "star" among fellow weirdo's who are as whacked out as I am.

1. I recall the first pin I purchased myself was at Game #5 of the 1958 World Series. It was a PM10 pin of Yogi Berra. My dad and I sat in the nosebleed section of the upper deck, replete with an obstructed view caused by a steel girder. I didn't care. Man, I was at the WORLD SERIES! As far as the first pin I ever got, I recall it being earlier that year. My dad went to a game, and brought home some souvenirs for me: a program, a pennant, and a pin. It was a team pin of the Yankees, 1.75", New York Yankees, American League Champions.

2. How many pins do I have. I feel like giving a (Bill) Clinton-esque answer: "It all depends what the definition of 'is' is". I have all manner of pins, the vast majority are sports related. But also non-sports pins (nothing very valuable, more attractive than anything else): pins with colorful ribbons (fraternal organizations), some political, some advertising. I have always tried to keep my professional life and my personal life separate, but in the latest edition of my textbook I finally let my guard down. I included in my textbook a picture of a pin (non-sports related, found it on eBay, $3) to illustrate a point. It was liberating! I felt like I outed myself (I hereby impose a quota of 5 jokes about this line). How many pins do I have? I never added them up, but about 8,000 - 10,000 would be a fair guess. Impressed? Don't be. I know a political pin collector (and dealer) who has over 750,000 pins. That's right---three-quarters of a million of them. Many duplicates. He keeps them in a warehouse.

3. How do I display them? Most are in glass cases called "Riker Mounts". The top is glass, surrounded by a cardboard frame, and the top is held to the bottom with straight pins. Where do I store them? I have many safety deposit boxes in banks around town. I often "visit" the pins when I'm in the mood. I just sit in a room at the bank, and look at them. Really very enjoyable and relaxing for me. Sometimes I will write a note to myself to research some aspect of a pin when I get home. The "good stuff" is in the bank vaults. The "fun stuff" is in my home. I derive as much pleasure from looking at and researching a $10 pin as a $1,000 pin. They just have different addresses.

4. I forgot your last question. Answer to follow.