View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default Long sought quests

Posted By: mike rothstein

I bought my first copy of Take Me Out to the Ball Game - 1908 - about three years ago.

It was written by Jack Norworth - who had never gone to a game when he was in the subway and saw a small broadside for a Pologrounds game.

He then knocked out the song and had his friend Albert Von Tilzer put the lyrics to music. I have way more details but don't want to burdon anyone with that much detail.

Part of the original lyrics which are at the HOF - I recently found this out from an ebay sale of a Norworth letter!:

Also, for some reason which I can't seem to find, in 1927, he changed the lyrics to the song - and instead of Katie Casey, he used the name Nelly Kelly.

I recently picked up this version:

The HOF ways there's 11 variations which are based on the photo of the singer that's on the sample I've posted.

I have catalogued 18 to this point, and have 15. I enjoy this as much as collecting T3s since I seem to be in - more or less uncharted waters. But, the search goes on - there is supposed to be a "prime" - first edition - stay tuned - my quest continues.