View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default So I went to a local card show today.........

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great pickups Mike....what were the snapshots you picked up?

Yesterday I attended my first ever Postcard/paper show and picked up some good items.

The first Item I picked up was this Fremont Pathfinders postcard from 1910 - They were in the Nebraska State League and one player on this team made the Major leagues -Harry Smith
Photobucket

The next card I picked up was an interesting postcard with Clarence Steen - if you read the "It started with a cabinet photo" thread you'll see my fascination with this ball player and how he keeps popping up into my collecting universe.
Photobucket

This is a 1915 ad piece I picked up because it mentions the Omaha Western League club -measures 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" and is blank backed
Photobucket

Picked up a couple of neat boxing items - the Marciano is a postcard and the other is just a card that appears to be signed by LaHood.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Picked up a 1962 Omaha Dodgers program

And I also picked up two pieces of sheet music which I haven't scanned in yet - 1910 Doc White/Ring Lardner and a Drake University Football piece

All in all a good day at the postcard/paper show, but I have to say that I think most postcard dealers are unaware of the true value of baseball postcards so they put ridiculous prices on them - the few that I obtained were from dealers who I've worked with in the past and are also on ebay so they know the true value of the cards. I heard a lot of anti-ebay sentiment from a lot of dealers as I listened in on conversations. I get the sense that postcard dealers for the most part long for the old pre-internet days. Of course I asked every single dealer what they had for baseball items and many of them said they left it all at home - this is the same story I get at antique shows on a regular basis. I picked up a bunch of flyers on the front table for other postcard/paper shows - they appear to be somewhat of an untapped resource for good stuff. I didn't see one other person there looking for sports memorabilia.