View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default A New Nebraska Indians Find

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I picked this up off ebay last week and just got it in the mail today. It is a postcard of Dan Tobey. Tobey wrote the card to Louis (Luke) Wagner, Honus's older brother. Tobey was offering a contract to Wagner - I have never seen anything about Louis Wagner playing for the Nebraska Indians in anything I've ever read, but it's possible he did play for them. The very best thing about this card though is that it is signed by Tobey. Dan Tobey pitched for the Nebraska Indians for many years and after his baseball days he moved to Los Angeles and became a ring announcer for boxing matches. He is enshrined in the World Boxing Hall of Fame. This is the first signature I have ever found of him and I think it's probably a very rare sig.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tobey had one at bat in the Pacific Coast League for the Los Angeles Angels in 1926. He would have been 48 years old at the time, so I'm guessing it was a publicity stunt of some kind. As well as being a great athlete he was also a great entertainer and often dressed in a clown outfit while pitching for the Nebraska Indians.

Photobucket

Here he is in later years circa 1940 in the ring as an announcer
Dan Tobey

He also appeared in many movies the most famous of which were "The Champ" and "Body and Soul".