View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default June Pickup Thread

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I meant no offense in using the word "oddball". It's just a suitable adjective for certain types of items that you don't see every day.

No, most collectors don't know/care about non-HOF players. I collect them because I get nauseated hearing about Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and the like. Enough already! I'll sell them to help make my way in this world, but have never purchased any of them for my own collection. There are so many non-HOFers with equally interesting (sometimes better!) life stories than the aforementioned men. I really love doing the digging to find out what those stories are. Sometimes finding willing storytellers regarding certain players can be like pulling teeth, whereas people make up complete lies just to try to have their name associated with a guy like Ruth. I guess I really like the "unexplored territory" aspect of player biographical research. Once in a while you will find the most shocking bit of important baseball trivia while researching the most obscure player! Hope I have explained myself sufficiently.