View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone Heard of c1880 Old Pop Smith Tobacco Tin with Crossed Baseball Bats?

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Has anyone here ever heard of a c1880 Old Pop Smith tobacco tin? Dimensions 4 1/2" wide x 3 3/8" deep x 1 3/4" tall

Below is part of the elaboration on this interesting tin I excerpted from my site

I first saw an Old Pop Smith tin about twenty years ago, pictured in a 1986 edition of a book titled: Tobacco Tins and Their Prices, by Al Bergevin. The crossed baseball bats and the bearded old timer sitting in the chair seemed to echo a civil war connection, but I've never learned that for sure. The flags with the "Y'" clearly imply Yale since the tobacco company M. Zunder & Sons was located in New Haven Connecticut. To the left and right of the word "mixture" are football goal posts, below it is a baseball. The bats have "squared barrel" ends (sawed of look), which date them to the 1880's.

For twenty years I kept an eye out, but never saw a single Old Pop Smith tin. I put it in my eBay permanent search to be notified if it ever surfaced. Very early A.M., the week of.......

You can read the whole story about this tin at my site http://www.sportsantiques.com . Just click the "See what's new" link at the top of my home page. Recently I located the history of it, of which I posted a copy of the original New York Times newspaper clipping from Nov. 10, 1890.

edited scan size