View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Trophy Baseball - need assistance pls

Posted By: davidcycleback

A common question in antiques collecting is "Is this paint or new or old." Judging the age of paint is a concern in areas like antique metal toys, banks and even fishing lures, where collectors desire the original antique paint and fakes and forgers touch up or totally repaint an item. Obviously, the age of the painting is an issue with trophy balls.

Though I have not tested this out myself, paint usually loses black light fluorescence with age and typically gives off no fluorescence under black light. On the other hand, recent paint typically will have some fluorescence-- making touch ups, etc relatively easy to identify. Thus, if the paint on a trophy ball gives of no to almost no fluorescence, that's not proof but is strong evidence the painting is antique and the ball is genuine. Again, I haven't tested this out myself, so I don't know the degrees, variations and exceptions that inevitably exist in practice ("In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is"-- Yogi Berra). But this is a common test used by antiques experts.

Duly note, I'm not suggesting or insinuating the ball isn't genuine-- I'm no expert on trophy balls or 1880 paint-- but thought this a relevant note.