View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Vintage Trophy Baseball - need assistance pls

Posted By: Glenn

Chris

That is a great looking ball and I agree with Barry; it appears to be a 19th century ball, based on the stitching. I live in the Lewisburg area and don't know how I missed it. And, before I type any cautionary words, let me stress that the ball looks good and I would have been aggressively bidding had I seen it.

I know of no league or connection between Lewisburg and Mount Joy but Lewisburg is only 65 miles from Harrisburg, which could have been a very likely site for a game, if for no other reason than to cut down on travel distance for the two town teams; as Mt. Joy is approximately 25 miles from Harrisburg.

I did not see your link to ebay, so I don't know where the ball came from. We do have a very aggressive wheeler dealer in this area who would alter his mother's DNA if he could make a few bucks. He has a network of ebay sellers and shill bidders who have been in operation for years and, though, his scams are usually tobacco era cards, he has been known to sell a variety of vintage items on ebay, some good, some bad and has cheated buyers from NJ to CA.

OK, I used this forum to vent about a local (and very successful) scam artist.

Having said that, I do think the ball is good and if you ever want to sell it, please let me know. Have a good day and happy hunting.

Glenn