View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default baseball time machine

Posted By: DMcD

I'd have liked to have been in the big crowd at Fenway in September of 1912 when Joe Wood faced Walter Johnson and beat him 1-0 (extending his run at Johnson's victory streak record). Would have loved to watch those two work. Then would have stuck around for the Wood-Mathewson games in the WS.
Would settle for any Yankees game I went to with my Dad in 1957 to watch those great Bronx Bombers in their prime (in the pre-f***ed up Yankee Stadium). Ford owning the visitors' line-up. Berra throwing off his mask and pulling in a pop foul. Kubek to Richardson to Skowron (. . words that are heavy with nothing but trouble?), Ol' Casey and his theatrics, Mantle doing it all. Dad talking story about the PCL Seals he watched as a boy in SF in the twenties. And, after the game, chasing AL'ers for autographs outside the visitors' clubhouse (said autographs currently landfill-Thanks, Mom), innocent of all my future cynicism about our National Pastime and everything else.
Thanks for the great thread! Collecting old baseball cards is as near as it gets to a time machine. Rest in Peace, Mom and Dad.