View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Proofs?

Posted By: nickinvegas

Gentlemen & Julie,
This will be the last time I comment on this issue. (Unless there is an update of major importance). I will try to be brief, please give me a moment.

When I first came to Victor Moreno (Owner of AM), I met him to tell him about all of the controversy regarding the auction. He doesn't read the board. He explained that he handled the auction of the proofs in the best way he knew. He found the best authenticator that was available to him. He asked opinions of other collectors at the nationals. He did the best he could, the catalogs printed and that was that. So, he thought.

I told him I knew David and I was sure he would personally inspect the proofs. I know David has a strong degree of influence with this board. Some choose to take whatever he says as virtue, without doing any research on their own. As many on the board would do I contacted David and asked him to look at them. I offered to pay him, and ship them overnight. DAVID REFUSED TO EXAMINE THE PROOFS. He also refused to speak to our photographic examiner. Had David looked at the proofs and rejected them with good reason,I would have lobbied to have them pulled. I trusted him at the time.

Why would he refuse? If he had taken them, this would have been a short discussion. He could not spread disparaging remarks about American Memorabilia or me. There were several comments made to appeal to those who are looking for an opinion (Slipping in how to tell fake tin types and other items that aren't relevant is an example.) I do not think David is a bad guy, I just feel strongly that there is a hidden agenda.

I respected all of the contrary opinions. Unfortunately,many came from competing auction houses.

I close in saying that, had I started before the auction launched perhaps I would have made some changes. But, as of this moment I still believe the proofs are period and gorgeous. There is a double layer of mount. The original mount that the picture is on is un-violated.

I am sorry if my opinion on this matter offends anyone. I will always do my best to help those that support me in my new job.

Regards,
Nick Martinez
American Memorabilia

PS: Barry Flynn (great grandson) of Paul Flynn called and gave me some great biographical information.