View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default Adam, Hal, other attorneys, and everyone else - Quick Baseball Question Legal Related

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Josh and everyone else - thanks for your tips and info. I appreciate everything and just am a little upset by all of this. I can tell my "legal jargon" emails are getting through to Sports World because the tone of their recent emails have again become polite and I am now being emailed by the "Director / CEO" instead of the original person who contacted me. I do feel you are all correct and they are using the law (or their relative lack of legal knowledge) to prevent me from selling Reggie signed items. What gets me the most is that in order to have eBay pull my auction, they stipulate "under penalty of perjury" that my item "violates their copyrights", which it clearly doesn't. If Reggie wanted to contest the validity of his signature, then he could have contacted eBay and had the auograph pulled as being fake - BUT THEY DID NOT DO THAT HERE. Also, it's awfully suspicious that Sports World is trying to recite rules of evidence to me but they are wrong. I am deciding whether or not to ask for the name of their attorney to speak directly to him/her. I may only be a 2L (2nd year law student), but I do well enough to know that they are wrong here and I have a clear case. It all comes down to how far I want to take this. It is probably one of those situations where I should just be the "bigger man" so to speak and walk away - but the question remains, where does this end? What eBay is allowing Reggie to do is deceptive and wrong. If I do decide to walk away, you better believe that reggiejackson.com is getting a long letter explaining why they should be thankful I don't want to fight this more! [Let's just say I have a very very nice summer associate position with a top New York City firm that asks us to take a case, either pro bono or personal, during our time this summer. Furthermore, the partner who hired me is a huge sports fanatic!]