View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default It is Baseball's fault (Pete Rose)

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Gee PASJD, I must not have expressed myself clearly. I did not mean to infer that it is the employer's fault that their employee has a problem. I intended to state that I believe that the employer shares responsibility with family members and in some cases others, to diagnose that a problem exists. Further, it is the employer's responsibility (and good business judgement) to require treatment for all problems which may affect their profitability and/or credibility. That MLB provides support for the sick employee during this period enhances their perception in the public's eyes.

Additionally, I certainly agree that the sick individual contributes significantly to the onset of his illness and continues to do so throughout its term; in this instance.

At no time did I anticipate that the words which I typed could be construed as an accusation that MLB was aware of Rose's problem. My accusation is that they were not, but should have been. There certainly is sufficient money involved to justify additional scrutiny of baseball players, managers and others.

If the Players Union took a "shove it" stance regarding the well being of a dues paying member, that posture would be unique among USA unions.