View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb/Bushing/SCDA/Game-Used Decal Bat

Posted By: Troy R. Kinunen

The recurring theme in this post is there was a non-disclosure regarding the Joe DiMaggio bat and the fact that Dave Bushing was the authenticator/owner.
That statement is not entirely correct.

Throughtout the history of the auction business, Dave Bushing and other authenticators have been consigning to auction houses and authenticating. Never has there been an instance where the bidders were not made aware of the fact that Dave Bushing owned an item if that question was asked.

Also, in most instances and especially in cases where the pieces sold for substantial amounts of money, the potential and high bidders were directed to speak with Dave Bushing about the piece. Since it was his item, he was more than willing to discuss it and try to promote the item to achieve the highest price possible. The bidders were bidding knowing this. There has always been a policy of verbal disclosure. Collectors such as Marshall
Fogell and Richard Angrist have built world class collections. Some items were owned by Dave Bushing. Again, almost without exception, they spoke with Dave about the items as they were bidding.

The issue of disclosure has never been an issue to the collecting community up until the time of the Joe DiMaggio bat. Looking back, all of the comments and posts from this sight contain very valid points. Now please remember, Dave Bushing and all authenticators worked within accepted policies of the auction industry. Should there have been disclosure policies, absolutely. Once it became an issue, we instituted that policy within 30 days of it being brought to our attention.

SCDA has only been in existence since Janurary of 2004. As the director, I can only speak about the policies that I have been responsible for. When the DiMaggio bat sold and it became an issue, Dave Bushing, Dan Knoll, Lou Lampson, SCD, and myself immediately agreed to make changes to address the non-disclosure practices. We moved from a verbal disclosure to a written policy.

Our policy regarding conflict of interest include:

1. No authenticator can sell an item with a SCDA letter. To date, after the policy was adopted, this has been enforced 100%. I know this because I personally review each letter.

2. When an authenticator consigns an item to auction, on the back of each letter there is a check box. If an authenticator has any financial interest in that item, the box is checked. This discloses the fact that the authenticator owns the item. The bidder then has the option of 1. accepting that opinion 2. Getting a second opinion 3. Or passing on bidding if the bidder is not comfortable knowing the authenticator owned the item. If potential bidders are concerned about this, please ask the auction house to see the letter before bidding.

3. Also disclosed on the back of the letter is a money back guarantee issued by the authenticator for items that they own. If the piece is sent for another expert opinion and it is found that information was wrong, omitted, or proven to be incorrect, the authenticator, not the auction house, will issue a full refund. Also, the cost of the authentication will be paid for by our authenticator

4. SCDA has spoken with some of the auction houses and in the very near future is going to issue a letter to all auction houses that we are under contract with suggesting that any lots owned by the authenticators be posted in the catalog. We cannot dictate auction house policy, but we are more than willing to have these items disclosed in the catalogs. For the auction houses that are not willing to do so, bidders are protected by asking to see the LOA.

SCDA is at the forefront of authenticating and the forefront of policy change. We have instituted every policy suggested to us that made sense.

Some collectors are still going to be upset about the fact that Dave Bushing still buys and sells. Until the climate of the market changes, that will still continue. I hope the readers of this post see that we have taken steps to address these concerns and there can be balance between authenticators selling and authenticating.

We will continue to monitor this post and all postive suggestions and valid criticism is welcome.

Troy R. Kinunen

Director of Authentication, SCD Authentic