View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Default Caramel Card set collecting

Posted By: Bob

Before I became more knowledgeable about the dos and don't of cards, I had 4 cards with tiny color chips which flaked off, an E98 Matty, an E94 Jennings, an E94 Evers and an E98 Clarke. They all flaked off in the upper right area of color for some bizarre reason, over a 2 year period. I took a tiny dab of glue and affixed the color flake back to the card on 3 occasions, being careful to line everything up correctly. Well, instead of 3 formerly vg-ex cards before the chips flaked off, I now had 3 ungradeable cards because of "alteration" according to the grading companies. Had I let the tiny chips off, I would have had G/Vg cards with great eye appeal. We live and learn. I still have all 3 cards. The Jennings card flaked when I removed it from the hard top loader at purchase. I assume it was just a time bomb waiting to happen and not an already flaked card when sold to me. The other 2 happened when I transferred the cards from top loaders to mylar pocket pages. (I now slab every one of my caramel cards regardless of condition). The E94 Evers I left alone. It was an otherwise EX+ card and was sold on ebay a while back and BINed at that. Great card with terrific eye appeal.
I guess the bottom line in this rambling discourse is to simply insure collectors, particularly those who are new to collecting caramel cards, will take great care in their handling. They are much more fragile than tobacco cards. We live and learn (sigh)....