View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Orange Background Portraits

Posted By: warshawlaw

prove that the printing variation is really a printing error, not a true (i.e., intentional) variation. As the red runs out, the card backgrounds gradually fade to yellow and the skin tones jaundice. This is subtle, because red is a much stronger primary color than yellow and chews up the yellow far "deeper" into the run than would be the case otherwise (add a dab of red paint to yellow and check the result then add a similar dab of yellow to red; a little red gives you a very distinct pale orange but a little yellow barely fades the red). My guess is that at some point in the print run the pressman decided that the red had run down too much and scrapped those cards before refilling the ink but allowed the remainder to go into the population.

I agree that they represent a small slice of the total number of cards of the players and are therefore deserving of a premium. How much of a premium I guess would depend on how close to the end of the run the card was, on the theory that the further into the print run it was, the wider the gulf between the colors.

I wonder if a similar variation situation exists with any other colors?

fkw's is the more "orange" of the two as far as I can see.