View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Orange Background Portraits

Posted By: R. Ellingsen

Anybody hear anything new on the orange background Cobb? I am the owner of the Orange Cobb in the second post. I purchased it well over a decade ago from a older gentleman who played a few games in the majors but mostly played minor league ball as a catcher with St. Louis back in the very early 40's.

I always wondered what caused the card to be orange like that. Over the years I have heard so many different opinions on the card I don't know what to think. Everything from it's defective and worth less then a normal card to there being a considerable premium for it. I will post a better scan of the card below. The card has the red and yellow ink clearly off register with the red very high (over the top border) and the yellow offset down towards the shoulders. I can understand the red ink running low explaination. My question is did they actually cover the whole backgroud with yellow on a normal red back Cobb? I don't remember ever seeing yellow across the whole background in any of the red back Cobbs I have seen like shown in the picture. It would seem that if you mixed yellow with red, you would always come up with orange.<br /> It also appears that it might have a ink fingerprint on the forehead

I figure it's at least worth what a red back version is worth, maybe more. It appears that they were given a premium in the auction below.

(March 16-17, 2001) Robert Edward Auctions
#158, T206 Ty Cobb Orange Background Variation $2,415 (Both cards are Trimmed)

Anybody else have any idea's on it?