View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA "Blanket" LOA

Posted By: Anonymous

I purchased a large lot last year from a major auction house and the highlights were mentioned in the catalog ad and on the Internet. The lot consisted of 600 pieces and I believe 75 were mentioned in the ad, names like Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio etc. Pretty much expect to get a grab bag of good and bad after that.

The question put forth on the thread was interesting. The truth of the matter is that if PSA/DNA issues a blanket LOA, then that means 'they looked at it' and there shouldn't be an afterthought if re-submitted for slabbing.

The truth of the matter (again) is that it's not a guarantee that they'll approve it a second time. There have been countless stories of resubmissions failing or passing a second time but compared to how many items they pass, I can't really see much of a problem of them failing items that were once passed in blanket form. Maybe include the LOA with the submission to say 'Hey guys, look, you thought this bundle was good already!'.

Mixing and matching is a popular 'autograph crime' when dealing with 'blanket LOA's'. I have seen a few sellers who will pay big bucks for a lot and while the LOA states that there was a Tony Lazzeri in the lot, looking at old catalogs, the Lazzeri in the catalog photo and the Lazzeri that was up for sale were 100% different.

Blanket LOA's are a lazy way of dealing with things and nothing but trouble.