View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default Max bids on auction house sites

Posted By: Aaron

Robert, don't sweat it. Doug once cold-called me at work when I posted here that I thought Mastro's policy of allowing its employees to bid on Mastro auction undermined customer confidence and was a conflict of interest. I spent a half-hour on the phone with him, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

Just like the Planich stuff and the recent revelations of self-authentication and concealed conlict of interests by SCDA in MastroNet auctions, I don't think they are particularly concerned about what we, as customers think, so long as it doesn't interfere with their revenue.

What I do find disturbing is that Doug used my e-mail address here to look into Mastro's customer database to find my work phone number. It really sends chills down your spine as to what other uses they may be putting our customer information to without our knowledge or consent. (Not to mention, if they are willing to access our account information without our consent to find our contact info and seemingly have no problem with it, what's to stop them from accessing our account information without our consent to learn our bid limits? Of course, I'm not accusing anyone of anything--in fact I already posted I had a positive experience with a max bid in their just completed auction--but it certainly raises the specter that this is something they have the ability to do.)

Ah, but they have such good stuff....