View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Default 1910-1911 Cards Found In Michigan - Auction This Weekend

Posted By: Paul

Well I went to this auction and here are my impressions. The outfit that ran the auction seemed to be about a fly by night as you could get. They had the cards to auction however many were not ex+ as described. Many had what seemed to be mildew on them. These were found in a box in a basement after all. They did not disclose that employees would be bidding on behalf of people. Somone asked them about that and the auctioneer got quite nervous and glossed over it. One Joe Tinker was taken during viewing. It caused someone to get stuck with somethig they did not want. This was another issue that made the auctioneer a little nervous. The prices were crazy. There were some McGraws and Jennings that has paper missing on the front that went for $100+ closer to $200 actualy.

They had A LOT of new stuff there that they forced people to sit through. The room was ready to riot I think if they would of went long periods auctioning that stuff. However, I will say all of the publicity around Detroit here that was generated did get the owners a nice chunk of change but no $50,000.

All in all it was quite odd but the hotel had a nice restaurant.

Paul