Thread: Board Direction
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Board Direction

Posted By: Brian McQueen

In my opinion, whether you have seperate forums altogether, or one forum split into subsections, it's all pretty much the same thing. Either way it's dividing content up into individual forums. However I would rather see the utilizating of prevailing links between forums the way we have it now as opposed to additional index pages placed in front of the main forum pages. The problem this creates is, the more you split things up and the more "index pages" that are thrown in to break up the forums, the more "clicks" a person will have to go through to read all the information they are interested in. This can get burdensome in a hurry and sort of wears on ones enthusiasm to check the site for new updates. For instance, I am not a fan of the BST thread on this particular forum as to read everything I am interested in, I have to click on 3-4 different forums and then click on each individual post one at a time. I would much rather have the set up on the new site where you have one "click" and then a quick scroll to the bottom to catch all the new stuff. Now suppose we equate this to the forum as a whole and the whole thing is split up into the aforementioned 4-5 catagories. If I'm interested in several of the catagories, I'll have to do that much more work just to make sure I don't "miss out" on anything. This duplication of efforts has already been brought up several times as one of the largest complaints people have.

Obviously having everything in one forum isn't working for us as we've had a growing number of problems and concerns as of late. Having to sift through a large amount of threads that aren't of interest is currently a problem on the forum. I'm thinking though, if things were simply divided up between two or three distinct catagories, similar to the way it is now, then that cuts down on the number of posts altogether in each forum and is less people have to search through. Right now we are currently headed in that direction, however the problem is that individuals are posting about vintage cards on two different forums. That is a big cause for two of the biggest problems I'm hearing about so far... 1.) Too much information to sift through and 2.) duplicating efforts in reading and posting across both forums.

I think Leon said it best yesterday...in a perfect world, we would have one site devoted to vintage cards and the other devoted to everything else. I feel that if all vintage card related material is held on one forum, those interested in Memoralbelia, non-baseball items, etc....won't have to sift through all of that content on their side and vice versa for the New Vintage Cards forum. I think that's a little more "restrictive" than we'd like for the time being, however I'd like to see us move in that direction and see if we still have these same issues.

Just my 2 cents....