View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default New (old) Board Direction- IMPORTANT

Posted By: Cap

Board Forum,

My two cents...

As a collector of pre-war cards and baseball memorabilia, I was always a 'lurker'. Only a few months ago did I decide to 'ring in' and contribute. I'm not an expert on pre-war cards but I have gained a great deal of education from this site. This site was an addiction of sorts.

For some reason, I am saddened by the news to only go 'pre-war baseball cards'.Perhaps I have become accustomed to the whole diverse world which surrounds pre-war baseball cards, the brothers and sisters which I lovingly call the 'memorabilia' business. I, as a reader found interest in what they had to say (even though I really don't do too much memorabilia stuff) and many did as well. I think a lot of people wanted to see a separation of sorts as was made known by the 'opinions' which you asked for in a previous thread.

I guess I feel there is just so much that can be said and discussed about cards from the late 1800's to the mid 1940's and I felt that there were only about a dozen people contributing to this site (many more read, but there are about a dozen that stand out and do all the threading) as they are the true experts and true die-hard collectors in this field. I still read the Vintage Cards Forum and there was maybe one or two new topics a day as the sports memorabilia people brought more to discuss and perhaps invaded the space of the 'traditionalists' which I understand and respect.

But also I feel that there were many suggestions made on how to break up this site and I think those suggestions went ignored because, as you said Leon, you have no interest in them. In that, you alienated a lot of people on the Board and there's a great chance that those people will be lost forever.

After all, it takes a special person to really truly understand and love pre-war cards (surveying fifty people in my life, they think my Old Judge Connie Mack is a waste of money...it cost me more than the car that I drive) and I will still lurk, but feel disappointed as well that something couldn't have been done to include others. I know Leon, it's your board and I guess it's going to go back to that 'private club' feel.

Thanks for letting me sound off.

Cap

Well, I quit my job so I could work alone, Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes- Bob Dylan.