View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default Auction dollars spent vis a vis ebay dollars spent

Posted By: martin dalziel

There are two (maybe more) classes of cards - mid/lower grade and then high grade.

I think a lot of the new collectors coming into pre-war aren't/can't collect the high grade stuff. I expect to see mid and lower grade auction lots sell higher. As Scott says, the lots get broken up and then put on Ebay. The new collectors are fueling the buying so the prices are going up.

Re. high grade - as more and more new collectors come into the market seeking mid/lower grade cards, its causing an overall market momentum, hence many more lots at auction and many more auctions, as sellers want to cash in on the good market conditions. I don't think so many of the higher grade cards will make it to Ebay, as they're being bought at auction as singles versus lots.

I have no idea whether the number of higher end market collectors is increasing or not. If not, then we'll see lower Ebay prices for items making it there.

I've always been a mid grade collector and know i'm having to pay more at auction and on Ebay.