View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Auction dollars spent vis a vis ebay dollars spent

Posted By: LGB

Its really a matter of supply and demand...I too have some trouble believing that there are lots of people paying the prices that are on ebay...but I also remember stamps in the mid and late 70's...same type of runup on older material...much of it bought initially by investors and later both investors and collectors. But in the early 80's in combination with some tough economic times (less demand) and a combination of investors unloading their holdings and older collectors passing away (supply) prices tanked...and when they tanked they went down big-time...I can remember a UN mini-sheet that at one point sold for about $700 that now routinely sells for $40....even some of the "classic" early US stamp series lost 50%-60% of their value and have never reached the same levels. I do believe that much the same thing will happen with cards..with true scarcities of popular sets/players holding up but everything else getting back to levels that collectors only will sustain.

When the prices start going down I think you'll see a flood of material as people that aren't really collectors try to get out. It won't be $10 T206 HOFers in nice condition, but it might be $10 HOF in weak vg condition, or good condition....How many people grew up dreaming about completing an E96 set? Not too many.

Of course my investment history is nothing to stake your future on