View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default Better Buy? (opinions please)

Posted By: Brent Butcher

Can you guarantee me that the players of the 19th century and early 20th century were totally clean? It is a known fact that many did body/mind altering drugs at that time(cocaine). Can you also say that if players of that era were offered performance enhancing drugs they would turn them down? From what I've read and heard about Cobb I couldn't imagine him turning them down if he thought it would give him an advantage. Bob Gibson has just recently said he would have used them if they were available at the time. Does that make him less of a player? The game has evolved to what it is over many years and did not change overnight. I can go on with many examples of drugs/concoctions that have allowed players to play w/o pain, eliminate depression, reduce stress but I think you get my point. What Sosa, Bonds, etc.. have done is what the public wanted them(athletes) in general to do, become bigger, faster and stronger and because they have we have all of a sudden decided to blame it on a few individuals.