View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default REA Old Judge Proofs

Posted By: Peter

Hello Jay,

They were the persons Great Grandfathers who was a photographer for the Goodwin & Co. They stated that they were all from the late 1880s. They were passed down in the family along with the camera and original glass plate negatives. These were images that their Great Grandfather had taken and saved. Lots we destroyed because they hadn't been mounted and they curled up. Those were used to light the wood fire in the stove until I became a buyer. Many others they mounted and framed on whatever they had. That is why the mounts vary and the type of frames. They said their Grandfather would take several different poses of each player. I have no reason to doubt the age since I also had many other images of famous people such as Buffalo Bill and different events that were dated. I contacted Rob Lifson after I had heard he had some coming up in his auction. He kindly sent me an email with the descriptions of the pieces in his auction. I don't agree with his speculation on the date of these pieces. It is based on a photography company the he states was in business in the early 20th century. If these images were important enough to keep and pass down in the family until now. Why wouldn't he of had them in the early 1900s? Maybe Doran requested a picture from the photographer? Who knows? I think basing it on a possible date that a company was in business is incorrect. What would have happened if they were in an envelope that was postmarked in the 1930s or 1940s? Would they be from that era?? I responded to Rob after he sent me the descriptions of the proofs in the auction. I decided to attach a copy of the email that I had sent him in response to his new theory? It differed greatly from the group he sold for me in 1998. Hopefully finally this will help all of you with any questions, Comments, Criticisms or disbeliefs.

-----Original Message-----
To: info@robertedwardauctions.com
Sent: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:22:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Robert Edward Auctions Proofs OLD Judge
Hello Rob,

Thanks for emailing me the detailed description below. It sounds like they will do well!
I just have a couple of observations and concerns.

The Family stated the images were printed in the late 1880s. I have owned some other pieces of photography from the same family with 1887 dates written on them, I would agree that some of them could be later in the 19th century. There was one particular piece I sold locally here in Vermont, and I am sure I can get it for you to examine. I was digging through my old notes when I had sent you the 30 + images in 1998 which you sold for me for $13,500 To ___________.You told me that you had the images authenticated by a photography expert who was called in as part of the OJ Simpson trail and this person concurred that they were real and of the period.Going back through several photographs of the Baseball proofs I have owned I also noticed I had several nonmounted,Single,Double and Triple mounts of the players that you include in your sale. I have also noticed the the sizes and image quality have varied making each image unique and one of a kind even if it is the same pose. Lastly I thought that you had some very strong statements about the others that were sold in 2004 by the West Coast company. I don't feel that anyone has the whole story about the true evolution of the unique pieces. Hopefully as time passes and the interest is elevated about these we will find out more. I will hold on to some of the other pieces I have and we will see what the market will bear.

Sincerely,
Peter O'Brien