View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Default How much money is out there?

Posted By: DJ

That is an interesting question.

I for one am a collector true to heart, like you guys. I did purchase two separate collections a year ago that would set me back twice the paid amount today and I basically purchased the collections for a handful of cards. I was able to sell off the rest for a small profit and have those kept cards pay for themselves.

I have met several 'new' collectors who got into the buying market because it is the hot thing to do now as they are unhappy with the current state of the Stock market. Purchasing a collection for four figures is kind of like the tech wave where people were purchasing stock that they knew nothing about but noticed they were increasing on a daily fashion. Are vintage pre-war trading cards in the same family as 'beanie babies'? Do I need to compare Charlie Buffington to 'Tabasco the Bull'?

I used to purchase around a dozen decent cards a month for my collection and that is now down to maybe 2-3. I see $60 cards selling for $200 and $300 cards selling for $600 and I haven't been able to add an OJ in three months where I would pick up at least two a month. It's good for my private collection now (the soaring values), but I'm having trouble making sense of the current market...my card family 'ain't growing'. While us VBC members ogle, enjoy and love our cards (and the history behind the players on the cards), a rich wig who has no idea what a W514 is or a T217 is high bidder on something he knows nothing about.

As far as REA, I've given up. 0-3.

DJ