View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default How much money is out there?

Posted By: John

Leon I simply used Microsoft as a recognizable name vs. many of the stocks of companies you could have bought in 2000. Stocks aren’t the only things you can invest in IRA’s, real estate etc.

There’s no doubt Leon has done well. But I’m sure Even he would have to admit not everyone does as well as he did. Are there other “Four Base Hits” Kelly cards I can invest in? Seeing as I believe he has the only one around it seems like a very limited investment opportunity for a guy like me.

My point is not everyone can invest or is buying one-of-a-kind cards. For every guy like Leon there are 20 guys buying $30,000 1952 Topps Mantle’s and game used goods. Baseball card prices are also subjective and don’t really have a true set market value. Plus how many people here have bought forged real estate,fake IRA’s? or trimmed stocks?

I wont argue that you can make some coin here and there and even make a killing once in a blue moon. But if people are out there buying up cards in the hopes of retiring early or using cards as replacement for traditional sound investing or are hoping to make a fortune. I really feel the bulk of these people will be very disappointed.

I used the T206 auctions above because its something I follow. And there is a perfect example of an investment, which lost money. I would bet as of the past 4 yrs there are many more items that have lost money or broke even, rather than made money. Interesting to hear you thoughts. Maybe we can prove baseball cards are the next major moneymaker after all.

Dick ANY person who bought ANY pre-war card in the 1970’s and or the 1980’s has made a killing. Those deals aren’t available to us anymore.