View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default THE BIG BUYERS IN OUR HOBBY

Posted By: J Levine

Hello all...
Many of you know me personally and many more know me through my research and collection. I focus mainly on Phillies, T-205, and Obak. I spent 3 years developing a listing of all Phillies pre-1980 (never truly complete as stuff is found and added all the time).

I am what I call just a poor teacher/collector. I teach 1st grade in a state where the cost of living is horrific. My free income is very small. Probably around $50 a month (and whatever I can buy low and sell high on ebay). That being said...I still enjoy the hobby. There is enough out there to keep me interested and happy. Funds are tight but I have found some great bargains over the last few years. Will I ever own a Delahanty OJ Cabinet? Lajoie W-600? Kalamazoo Bats Phillies? Nope...does it sadden me...in a way yes, I would love to be a completist when it comes to the Phillies collection but as a realist, I know, short of a lottery win, I will not be able to afford those. It was nice that Terry Knouse let me examine some truly vintage stuff including some proofs, some cabinets, and some type cards to help research the phillies list. Kit Young let me rifle through nearly the entire deck of Allegheny cards to see which Phillies were depicted (I still kick myself for not grabbing one that he offered for $250!). Dealers and collectors alike have been wonderful overall.

The other thing that keeps me going is the "finds". I have found over the last few years a few true bargains incl. the playball set, n-300 anson, n-172 Mccarthy, and a t-205 gray w/ stats. Find do happen and the knowledgeable little collector can still find some high dollar cards for some low dollar prices especially if you are not condition sensitive.

So...good luck to all...just remember to take pity once in awhile on the poor teacher

-Joshua