View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default T210 Old Mill Jackson in REA Auction-New Owner's Perspective

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

When I use 25% as a rough approximation of T210 cards that exhibit a subtly wavy cut, that is based on a lot more than the T210s bought by the consignor in the estate sale. It is based on discussions with other T210 collectors and dealers who are familiar with the set and who own or have handled T210s with similiar characteristics. Regardless what the exact percentage turns out to be, I am comfortable that it is a significant percentage of T210s in the known population (going well beyond what this particular consignor has), indicating that such a cut is part of the original manufacturing process. One thing to keep in mind in evaluating whether the card is hand cut or machine cut is that the waviness of the borders is very subtle. To some it would only be apparent under magnification. My view is that it was probably machine cut. But again, the point is that machine cut or hand cut, it was cut as part of the original manufacturing process and as a result to me does not diminish the card.

In regard to the ebay card that is graded by PSA with a hand-cut designation, that is the first I've heard that PSA does such things. As I've said earlier, I've never submitted a card to any grading company; the focus of my collection is not graded cards. While I respect what the grading companies do, what matters to me is what I think of the card, not what a grading company thinks. I'm the guy who bought it and therefore has to be comfortable with it. If and when the time comes that I ever plan to sell it, then at that time it probably would make sense to explore if, with further documentation and information about the set, a grading company might give it such a (hand cut) numerical grade.