View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting on a Budget

Posted By: Chris Counts

Like others on this board, I have gotten back into the hobby after years away. While I will never approach the collection I once had, I'm enjoying it far more this time around. As a budget collector, I try to focus on sets I think are underrated. While I'm not a big Exhibit card collector, the the 1920s sets are quite nice and represent some of the best deals out there. My personal choice for the most underrated sets are Wheaties panels and Play Balls. In general, I see cards from the 1930s as underrated. It was also an amazing time in baseball. The sets from 1933 to 1941 bridge the gap between Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. From the Gashouse Gang to Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak, I consider this era the most compelling in baseball history. Goudeys and Diamond Stars are a little pricey, but I still think they are a far better deal than tobacco cards. When I used to go to card shows in the seventies (I went to some of the first ever), Goudeys and Diamond Stars were always more expensive than T205s and T206s. I remember picking up tobacco cards for a dollar each, but I often had to pay $2-$3 each for Goudeys.

I've never been much for focusing on cards as an investment. I buy what I like. I'm always looking for cards in the VG-EX range, and I'm partial to what I call "perfectly flawed cards." I've gotten some tremendous deals on cards with tape stains or slight back damage, and I've never been bothered by cards that are off-centered. I just picked up a 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese (I know, it's post WWII, please forgive me) that has sharp corners, is well centered, but has a crease. The price? About 20% of what the card would cost me without a crease.

I'm puzzled by the focus in the hobby on "perfect" cards. It seems sometimes like the corners are more important than the card itself. I never need to own an "8" or a "9." For me the greatest thrill is getting a Goudey or a Play Ball HOFer for a price that falls within my limited budget.