View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting on a Budget

Posted By: Rob

I, too, just started getting into collecting pre-war stuff. It's really great stuff! Collecting on a budget is actually GOOD. It forces one to focus on what is important and do research since we only have 'limited shots' when an item becomes available. And it is most satisfying to save up for an item - for when you obtain it it is all the more cherished.

Pre-war items do go for quite a bit, but there is enough stuff out there to be creative with what you collect. (e.g., I am collecting all the T-206 red portrait commons and then framing them). Or, you can take one huge shot every month and go for 'rare lesser cards' but still rare like the Boston Kleinow or Washington Elberfeld portrait. Or, you can collect the rare backs of T-206s like Cycle and Hindu for starters. Or you can collect other sports like tennis or billiards (I personally prefer horse racing). It's all up to you. The research will educated you not only in the historical aspect, but also the physical aspects of trimming and counterfeits. Once you dig in, there's no way but forward because it is VERY addictive! And remember, since it's 'old', condition shouldn't be a concern. These items were made long before toploaders and screwdowns were ever a passing thought.