View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Ken Burn's Baseball documentary

Posted By: T206Collector

Is the best baseball documentary every made. Period. On DVD you can choose whatever chapeter you want with the click of a button, to brush up on Ty Cobb, Rube Waddell or the Christian Gentleman, Christy Mathewson. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's very hard for me to believe that people with a real interest in vintage baseball would find time to criticize a movie which lionizes that period in baseball.

By the by, I'm a huge Lefty Grove fan and I do not think Burns gave him short shrift. Would I have liked more Lefty? Of course. But given the context and circumstances, I thought the coverage was appropriate.

In terms of the race issue, it's hard for me to separate between my feelings that Burns may have overdone a theme and an unshakeable disappointment that the great black ballplayers will never find themselves immortalized on cardboard in a pack of 1909-11 Sweet Caporal cigarettes. Really, if the likes of Unglaub and Breitenstein were good enough to make the list, then it strains reason or credulity that the Gibsons and the Charleston's never made it. Can a T206 set ever really be complete without them?