View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default great card found in Japan

Posted By: will watson

a few thoughts:

-first off, wow. give the poor guy a break. some of the early responses (to an honest mistake, no less) were downright rude. i love this board, i enjoy reading it, and you guys have a wealth of knowledge....but jesus, the elitist "country club" attitude is a ridiculous. the term "vintage" is relative. i'm 24 years old, so to me something from the 70's - produced before i was even born - is vintage to me. there is no magical cutoff point between vintage and modern- it's just someone's personal opinion. but congrats on the card. as others have stated, list it on ebay. you'll probably get $2500+ for it.

-second, and i know this goes against the rules of the board, but it's an interesting debate: is vintage game used equipment a good investment? face it, there are a finite amount of vintage HOF gamers out there - and the card companies are destroying stuff at an alarming rate. i'm not talking about jerseys from the 60's and 70's....it seems there is still a lot of stuff in circulation from that era. but prewar? i bet not many HOF jerseys from the 30's are still around. and with the numbers constantly dwindling due to idiotic manufacturers, it seems like a good long term investment.

-third, screw the card companies for doing this. i have no problem with modern jerseys being sliced up, but one of a kind pieces? it's ridiculous to cut up the ONLY KNOWN pinstriped Babe Ruth jersey and the ONLY KNOWN game worn Georges Vezina pads. i don't see why the government doesn't step in and prevent these companies from destroying this stuff. if they can designate houses, trees and buildings as historically preserved sites (making it illegal to destroy them), why can't they do the same for memorabilia?