View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Default show me 19th century cards..

Posted By: identify7

Scott:

The cards and memorabilia are only (to many) a small part of the attraction of 19th century collecting. The reading, research, discoveries and understanding of what transpired during this era is what really attracts me (well the cards ain't bad either).

For example, from a historical perspective a collector can focus on lesser known, non-superstars from this period, who made significant and lesser contributions to the colorful history during the (later) formative years of baseball.

Typical of these players is the fellow with the lowest and highest season BA in history; the pitchers with the most wins, losses, combined decisions, highest BA, lowest ERA, most Ks, etc. The greatest slugging team until the 1927 Yankees, and the worst - with zero HRs for the season - is the same team. A player with 4 triples in a game, a triple crown winner who also was highest in doubles and triples, the list is endless. The reason for, and the players involved in the Union Association, Players League, the Resereve Clause, hippodroming, revolving, high or low pitches, constantly changing number of balls for a walk, warnings about not swinging at good pitches, Ooops - Gil - you are losing it a bit here - let me reel you back in.

Sorry, Im back. Whew - it is dangerous in there - you could get lost. You better stay away Scott.