View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Have we begun to lose our way a bit?

Posted By: Rhys

John's story was great. It made me think of something in my life as well. My father is 71 years and will probably not make it to the end of the year due to bad health and a series of strokes. He was never much of a card guy but huge into antiques. One year for Christmas he found a VGish T3 of Eddie Collins and bought it for me as a surprise Christmas gift. Reflecting on my father and the things which we did in life together knowing he will not be here much longer than a few more months, really makes you think about the good in the hobby.

Although everyone here knows I buy and sell cards for profit, I also have a collection which I cherish as well and this card, worth maybe $300-$400 to anyone else, is the centerpiece of my personal collection and that is really what it is all about. I would not trade this card that was given to me by my non-collector Father for T206 Wagner.

It is important to note though that without dealers you have NO baseball cards for sale so dealers are a necessary part of the hobby. What makes me upset is when dealers have no respect or love for what they do and it is ALL about the money.

Rhys