View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Can you collect on a budget?

Posted By: jay behrens

It's easy enough to throw large sums of money at a card when you want it, if you have the money. My question is, how many of us have the discipline to collect on a truly limited budget. I've been on both sides of the spectrum and find collecting on a lmited budget fun and challenging. Granted, I dont' get ot go chase really cool, really rare vintage material, but when I can add a rarity to my collection, it's a major coup.

I've been back in the hobby about 4 years now. I keep reocords of all my purchases and sales. In that time, my total out of pocket expsense for collection after subtracting the sale of duplicate cards is $1k. With this wheeling and dealing I've managed to acquire cards of Thorpe, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Williams, Cobb, Wagner and about 30 other HOFers. Type cards from 35 different sets including e107, Red Boarder Colgan HOFer, Ju Ju Drum, e104-3, e90-3, Old Mill series 8 and other rare sets I'm forgetting. Then there are the 3 uncatalogued cards and 2 new variations that I've found since coming back.

Yes, I am tooting my own horn, but it's to also prove a point to Jim that you can put together meaningful collection and have an impact on the hobby without having a ton of money to throw at it.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.