View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default Show me the back of the card, please!

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Had a really weird (but ultimately very nice) experience October 5 2005, 10:13 PM

with BMWSportscards....bought a 51-52 Parkhurst Howe from Brian and Michael. I'd already bought three 51 Parkhursts from them, and they had all perfectly clean, plain backs. This one arrived with a big swatch of paper tape all down the back, with big numbers in it! When I called, Brian said, in effect, he felt about 51 Parkhursts about like I feel about Old Judges (who gives a damn what's on the back?). HOWEVER, he knew many people DIDN'T feel that way (many people don't feel that way about Old Judges, either--including grading companies...), and offered to pay to have it sent to a conservator Michael recommended--she'll be working on it this weekwend, already having gotten the card---and thinks it will be an easy job. If I am NOT satisfied with the result, they will replace the card, return my money, or somehow make it up to me.

I am surprised that BMW would recommend restoration. I am not doubting your understanding of the conversation but not too long ago they were posting how unethical that was.

Things have really changed on this board. Now there is a high profile dealer to go along with a lawyer and a handful of other collectors who post on this forum who are recommending such practices.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but maybe it is time to bring back the discussion of when it is ok (or maybe more appropriately, who is permitted) to engage in card restoration/removal?

Greg