Thread: finds
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Default finds

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I thought I would get a lot of responses to this thread! I didn't mean for people to boast on how they ripped off an unsuspecting public.

Keith O'Leary and I met each other yesterday at an estate sale here in Lancaster County, PA. The sale had 125 T205s and 206s. Almost all of them were in very nice condition (PSA 4 and 5). According to Keith, the executor found them tucked away on the second floor of the house. Each card was a Piedmont back. I thought that was kind of strange, but Keith said "I guess that was what the guy's dad smoked!" To bad he wasn't a Drum or Uzit man.

No real bargains were had. About fifteen or twenty local collectors and dealers showed up. Keith got a bunch of 205s, including the Joss that he posted on the October pick up thread. I bought nine 206 commons. There was also a red portrait Cobb and and 205 Matty that other collectors bought.

Keith taught me on important lesson I thought I would pass along. When the public is permitted to handle cards prior to the sale, you should check the cards again immediately before the sale begins. The Matty that Keith wanted did not have a crease on Friday, but sure did on Saturday. Too bad!! It was a really nice card.

Jeff Mohler