Thread: Spahn is gone
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Spahn is gone

Posted By: DJ

I would say that 70% of all my encounters with celebrities have been fine. 25% of them have been outstanding and I would say 5% have been miserable. Sure I've had horrible experiences with some, but I like to focus more on the sports celebrities who understand their role and want to give that fan an experience of sorts. The Brooks Robinson's and Ernie Banks' of the world who may perhaps have an unwilling side, or have had a bad day I haven't met, but have treated me and countless folks with a fantastic experience.

We are a society that idolizes false heroes. If you can swing a bat, we suddenly make them a "role model" and we expect them to represent themselves in the manner that we invisioned in our heads. I have heard many people say "I really hope Barry Bonds wins a World Series ring.". WHY exactly? What has he done for you? He's not a nice guy! There is a flawed being that many idolize for his mere ability.

When I plunk down $18 for a Willie Mays signature at a card show (yes, I'm dating myself) and tell him that he's my hero and he doesn't acknowlegde me AT ALL and signs by bat in black sharpie when I clearly ask him to sign it in blue sharpie like the others, is that okay?

DJ