View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Sets vs. Singles

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I build sets, and I work on a HOF set to take care of my whims.

I'm working on a run of sets from the 26 years the Yankees won the World Series. For me, choosing a set to build is as much fun as building the set itself. I try and pick sets that are interesting, then I learn about the history of the set and where it fits in the time period. I learn about the availability of the cards, and then I decide how I'm going to collect it: raw, or graded? SGC, or PSA? High-grade, mid-grade, or beater? Any companion pieces? How will I store/display it? What kind of prices am I willing to pay for the cards?

Then I go to work.

Right now, I'm working on the following:

-1938 Goudey - I have the set, in PSA slabs stored in Ultra-Pro sheets in two Roop binders. I'm looking for upgrades.

-Diamond Stars (I'm cheating and using this set for 1936) - I'm about 25% done, looking to buy it raw in EX-MT+, then I'm putting them in SGC slabs in a Roop archiver box.

-1939 Goudey R303 A, B, and C premiums - I'm collecting these three sets raw, EX or better, and am not sure how I'm going to display them yet. I just started this set.

-1961-62 Fleer (Cheating again and using this set for 1962), PSA-8 or better, and will store them in a Roop archiver box. I just started this one as well.

I've also just started to build a low-mid grade T205 set that I'm buying either raw or graded, with the goal of putting them all in SGC holders.

I really, REALLY enjoy building sets. You discover so much about the issue by getting to know all the cards. And you make great friends by getting to know the other collectors of that set.

-Al