View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default Standard Catalog Response from Lemke.

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi folks,

I usually lurk and don't post, but I have to put my 2 cents worth in on this one. I faithfully buy a new Standard Catalog every year, specifically for the vintage information. Several of the cards sets that were in the 2004 catalog disappeared in the 2005 version, and more have gone from the 2006 catalog. I don't care so much about the pricing, but I am more interested in being able to identify older cards, learn a little about their history, and take a look at the checklists.

I can buy the Beckett Baseball Card plus for current pricing on new cards, and I don't need a catalog to tell me that the 1995 Post Cereal set only books for a few bucks (good luck finding someone who will give you a quarter for the full set). The prices listed for most cards newer than 1980 are mostly just wishfull thinking on the part of the price guide editors, with real prices running 10%-20% of book value for most cards.

I won't be buying the 2007 version of the Standard Cstalog, and maybe if enough of us stop it will force the editors to rethink their position.

Have a great day and enjoy your cards!

Rick