View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default T206 w/ no red ink ends early on eBay. GRRR!

Posted By: warshawlaw

I had to look back in on this string and see what merited 80+ posts.

"This hobby is just one big sin, with all the coveting, desire, and greed rolled up in a big wad of $100's."

That's some pretty profound and disturbing **it for a Tuesday morning, but I kind of agree in one respect, kind of disagree in another:

I agree that as the prices of cards escalate and people move into collecting for whom money literally is a non-issue, the Hobby has gotten kind of gross and is inspiring some unseemly behavior. Many good old-time collectors who are not Masters of the Universe feel pressured to move fast and perhaps move in ways that they would not have considered before because of the perception that they cannot win a head to head auction with the big bucks crowd.

I disagree that this trend is new in the Hobby, though. I recall rivalries, competitiveness, deal interference, coveting, desire and greed in spades in 1975. Of course, I was 10 years old then What we are seeing here is no different than what we all experienced in grade school with cards, comic books, rocks, or whatever other collectibles we were chasing at the time. But now everyone participating is a well-off, middle-aged guy. Maybe we all need really is a bit of adult supervision...