View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default Manning "Ghost" on Ebay...Ending soon

Posted By: identify7

Doubled die coin errors and other errors fascinate many collectors. I do not understand what it is about errors that generates interest. Heck, I do not buy into (although I have) the thinking that mintmarks constitute a significant difference among coins.

But I also don't see the importance that many place on the advertisement on the back of a baseball card.

But of all of these differences, sometimes (yes, infrequently) but sometimes the result is so attractive, quaint, or otherwise compelling that a non-collector will say "yes! I can see spending extra for that".

Occasionally a ghost image will yield that response, sometimes it it other printing errors, but we have all seen those instances in which there is no doubt that a premium should be associated with the mistake.

Unless there is that quality in which even a non-collector will recognize the premium status of the product, imho, there is no premium warranted.

Edited to add:

And as Scott points out: this viewpoint has nothing to do with baseball nor the player. It has its sole focus on the unusualness or attractiveness of the product produced.