View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default does anyone know or has any dealt

Posted By: Bob Bannon

I have not logged into N54 in a couple of weeks and wasn't aware of this thread. Jimi Thayer was kind enough to notify me of it so I can respond myself.

Mr. McConnell contacted me in a very terse fashion a while back. He didn't identify himself and never mentioned that he was a part of this or any group. Initially I ignored him because he didn't id himself and honestly the email was hard to read, and I thought it might be a minor.
He was persistant, had seen my website and urged me to trade with him.
He had quite a few hits to my 70's lists and I agreed. That process was very difficult. He sent several emails and was never able to account for just what he was sending. At first it was 300+ cards then it was 200+_. Well it was about 140, which was fine. I asked him for a website or at least a want list so I would know what to send him in return. In turn he sent me this:

"im always looking for kaline or tigers or older stuff anything interesting
ty ps all these cards are very nice atleast exmnt but alot are nrmnt but
not looking for nrmnt value what ever you feel is fare is fine with me"

That by the way was one of the more easy to read emails. I only mention that, not to hurt Thomas but to explain that communication is an issue here.

His cards arrived, they were fine, ex+ or better 70's cards. There were some dupes which I sent back to Thomas. So I sent the following email:

"Hi,

Sorry no Kalines, and I usually have 1 or 2 in my dupes box. He's not hard to find here in YankSox land.
I do have plenty of Tigers cards. Here's a stack that should be fair return for those 70's hits:

1960: 152.161.418.364.245.429(league Kings with Kuenn)
1959: 442.343.2(Yost, tough card to find)

I'll also toss in some typecard oddballs.

Please send address, I'm at:......."

I heard nothing back from him. Now his decription of those cards as having gone through the wash is ridiculous. They were VG+ or better, AND I threw in extra value because I wanted to. I also told him that I would keep an eye out for other Tigers cards and would be happy to send them his way. No obligation. I don't have any Tigers fan traders right now so I would be happy to do that.

Thomas contacted me when he received the cards that I sent. He complained and wanted more. I was annoyed by this. The irony was that I was probably going to send him some more Tiger cards if I found any but certainly wasn't going to be brow-beaten into it. In an effort to coerce me into doing that he suggested we reverse the trade. I had already explained to him that I had no catalogue of the cards that he sent and that I had shared some with a neighbor.
I have ignored no emails from Thomas.

I am a new member here and am sorry to be in this mess. I told Thomas that I wished that he had never contacted me. If he wishes to email me again I will look at sending him some more older Tigers cards when I get them. I will not be bullied into it just so he can come out ahead. Is this how he conducts his trades?
My apology over the length of this thread.

Bob Bannon

"The best thing I ever saw never really happened at all."
- Guy in line at a Portalet outside Superbowl in San Diego