View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default Comparing the CME/MERC with Cardboard trading

Posted By: Alan

So, here's my take, as if you asked...
I don't collect cards with the intention of selling them for profit later. I collect to collect, and because I enjoy the obsession, and frankly I like "showing off". I doubt there are any amongst us that don't like showing off their cards to people. I do realize that if I take care of my cards that one day they may be worth some money, and in these times, one never knows when they will need some liquid. So, I don't look at collecting cards as an investment, I sort of look at it as putting my money into some sort of low-yield, interest bearing savings account. If I am smart with what I buy and one day I absolutely HAVE to have some money, if god forbid someone in my family/myself gets sick, or loses their/my job I will at least have some way of helping them. But, in no way can I consider collecting cards as an investment. No one can guarantee me that they will be worth money in the future. I know, I know, we all think they will, and they probably will, but there is no guarantee. Also, say one day I amass a collection worth about a million dollars in book value. Wishful thinking, maybe, but for sake of argument, let's say it happens. Then, tragedy hits me or my family and the cards need to be sold (knock on wood it doesn't happen). It isn't as simple as cashing in my money market account or dipping into my IRA early. There are only certain people (i.e., us, the 800 or so unique users on this board and perhaps double that number that don't come on the board) that are going to want what I have, and I am at their mercy as far as selling my cards. If they don't want em, I am S.O.L. How many times have you come across a card for sale by someone else that you yourself have owned (and I dont mean that same card, I mean THAT CARD)? It's because we, and our cards, travel in a small circle. So, while the selling may always be good, there may come a time when we have all filled up our collections and don't need another Cobb or Honus in our collection (GASP!!!! I can't believe I said it). Laugh, but it could happen. It really is simple supply and demand. If no one is demanding your supply, then it isn't worth the cardboard it is printed on. So, do yourself a favor...anyone who is reading this, and plans on buying cards for an investment or for short term speculation/flipping, do me a favor, and yourselves one, and don't do it. Collect for fun. Collect to satisfy that thing inside all of us that makes us collect. Collect to remind yourself and your kids about the players that NONE of us have seen play. By the time 2 generations have passed, and the names Cobb, Wagner or Ruth are uttered, most people are going to say, "who"?