View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Negro Leagues HOF ballot

Posted By: Kenny Cole

This one shot, in or out, voting system is interesting. However, I think it may end up costing some of the candidates admission to the HOF. In that regard, I wonder if there won't be some hesitance to elect a large number of candidates, whether or not they are deserving. In terms of sheer numbers, the 1945/46 HOF elections are the closest thing to this election that the HOF has ever experienced and not even then did 20 people get elected. I think that may pose a problem for the electors here. I hope I'm wrong and that every candidate gets a fair shot based solely on merit.

With that being said, I'd give the nod to Beckwith, Raymond Brown, Willard Brown, John Donaldson, Mackey, Posey, Suttles, Torriente, Jud Wilson, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Grant Johnson, Dick Redding, Luis Santop, Chet Brewer, Dick Lundy, Oliver Marcelle, Ben Taylor, George Scales, Jose Mendez, Spottswood Poles, J.L. Wilkinson, Sol White, Dobie Moore (although I wonder how he became eligible with only 6 years of playing time before his injury), Oms and Rap Dixon. I agree with Andy and Matt that Minoso and O'Neill deserve election, but not necessarily as Negro League players. That's 26 out of the 39, which I suppose means that the winnowing process was pretty good.

Kenny Cole