View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default T330-2 Piedmont Stamp Checklist

Posted By: Millerhouse

I am the correspondent to whom Lee has been referring. The current SCD lists 116 different Piedmont Art Stamps. (Although its numbering goes to 119, three numbers are skipped.) I can vouch for the existence of all but 23 of those from my own collection. Assuming that all that SCD lists do actually exist, I can add two more to the list from my collection, Beck and the second T205 design of Barger, for a total of at least 118. I've been in touch with Bob Lemke and will forward copies of these for his verification.

As to whether blank backed T330-2s exist, I would seriously doubt it. They were originally issued as stamps, with the adhesive applied over the writing on the backs. As a result, if you have one with the writing on the back wholly intact and an even, light brownish cast to the back, odds are that the stamp has never been glued down. While anything is possible, unless the Mathewson referred to above has a very smooth, glossy back and is some sort of preliminary printer's proof, odds are far better that it was previously glued down and its back stripped upon removal -- in which case it might deserve a GAI 1!

Hope this helps.

Dan Gantt