View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Default To share or Not to share ??

Posted By: Dennis W.

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now and although I don't post very often I felt the need to respond to this thread. In all honesty, when I saw Hal posting his cards in the subject thread my initial thought was "Jeez man give us a break". Keep in mind that my thoughts are coming from someone who has just finished liquidating his meager collection for the second time in 2 years so that I can hopefully make ends meet. I had to do the same thing last Christmas. I did not, however, email Hal or respond negatively on the thread. To my knowledge, I have never had any dealings with Hal - But I understand he is a very nice guy.

After my initial thoughts I put myself in Hal's position. If I had a collection as nice would I post them? You're darn right I would. Not to show off but to share - just as Hal has done. Hey, it's no fun to own a show car and never take it for a spin. Thanks for sharing Hal.

Lastly, I do have a problem with some comments made on this board. I have seen threads started by people concerning modern sports cards. These people may have not paid close enough attention to the theme of the board and not realized it was for vintage cards, or maybe it was a kid just looking for advice on something he/she can afford to collect. I am ashamed, as a board member, at some of the responses these people received. Their cards have been called "shiny pieces of crap" and they've been told, in a rude fashion, not to post that crap here anymore. These responses have probably led people to believe that this forum is for rich, obnoxious people to show off their high dollar cards. Therefore, when someone does share their high-end collection it's probably easy for some people to get the wrong idea. The next time anyone thinks about calling the new stuff "shiny pieces of crap" think about that 10-year-old kid who just cut some grass and bought baseball cards with his earnings - just like most of us here did years ago.

I want to make sure that everyone understands that my response is not being critical of Hal, as I said thanks for sharing Hal. So, in closing, If you don't like looking at Mona Lisa's don't go to a museum or If you don't like looking at Shelby Mustangs don't go to a car show.